This thing we love so much called money loves to be in control of us once it gets into our pockets. Once our regular income if you are lucky to have one, checks in we tend to throw away our budgets down the toilet hole just as we throw down the tissue when we are done with our business.
This is the time Java calls your name so loud and those shoes from backyard shoes just can’t stop staring at you. For the guys this is usually their philanthropic days at the entertainment joints, this is the time they “chafua meza” for their fellow jamaz trying to boost their ego.
Then on the 15th of the month something called reality check knocks on you door and that’s when you start scratching your head trying to remember where you tossed the budget you created. You need to learn how to live within your means, and remember that a month has roughly 30 days.
Even when we are broke money is still in control, we still meet our friends in the coffee houses and we complain how broke we are. Let me share with a few pointers on how to get back control.
- Stop complaining about brokenness while spending it just doesn’t make sense at all.
- Increase in your income means an increase in your savings and investments, not an increase in your spending. If this is so hard create a standing order with your bank or accountant it becomes easier.
- Before any purchase ask yourself do I need it or do I want it. And here be sincere in most cases you will realize your wants can be purchased later when budgeted for.
- Pay your debts and don’t get into stupid debt. E.g. owing the lady who brings you clothes in the office.
- Stop keeping up with appearances the people you are trying to impress don’t really care.
- Respect the money you save. Don’t save to just spend it on an impulse buy.
- School fees, rent, buying food are not emergencies so at the end of the month or at the beginning of the term stop running around looking for money like you had no idea you had to pay the above.
- Change your mind-set everything else will fall into place.
- Always write a shopping list before going for shopping and avoid going for shopping when your hungry, you end up buying more than you need.
I think once you can control your personal finances you can control any other form of finance.
love love love