My first encounter with butternut was at my Godma’s house we were making lunch for a few guests. I had always seen them in the market, but i had no idea of what to do with them. On this particular day we used it to make a starter soup and trust me it was delish. My second encounter with them was at work when i was doing my internship a good friend of mine told me her mother in law had brought her a lot of butternut but she had no idea what to do with them. So one Friday she downloaded a recipe and the following Monday she told me she had baked them and they turned out so well.
This is my third encounter where i try them out myself. Method of cooking used boiling,sauteing and shallow frying.
Sauteed Butternut & Mushkaki Meatballs
- Mince meat
- Butter/ Margarine
- Garam masala
- Tandoori spice
- Flour/ breadcrumbs
- Black pepper
How to prepare.
- Wash,peal and cut the butternut into whichever shape you desire. Remove the inside part that has seeds and strands, wash one more time and put in a pot with crushed garlic and bring to boil with some little salt.
- In a separate container mix the mince meat with the finely chopped onions,chili & garlic. Put all the spices squeeze in the lemon and let in sit in for 30 min.
- Beat the egg(s) and put the flour/breadcrumbs in a separate platter as you roll the meat into a ball dip in to the eggs, roll into the flour/ breadcrumbs and shallow fry on low heat so as to ensure they cook well inside. Serve them on a skewer hence the name Mushkaki Meatballs.
- Chop the onion into fine rings put a little butter/margarine in a pan with some salt and black pepper and put in the boiled butternut to saute for 7-15 min.
- Serve and enjoy your meal. Mine came out pretty well and i loved the taste of margarine on the butternut and how spicy the meatballs turned out.
Please experiment with me and tell me how it goes, and of course invite someone over for the meal.
love love love